The Newborn Has Diarrhea and Skin Irritation: What to Do?
Usual processes in the newborn’s organism are different from those in the adult organism—for example, the newborn poops from 4 to 8 times a day, and sudden diarrhea in babies is common.
Though, sometimes they can do it even up to 12 times a day that calls for extra care and treating diarrhea in babies.
Why do newborns have so many bowel movements?
In the first 1,5 weeks, the feces of the newborn have a liquid consistency (often with admixtures of mucus), and a gray-green color is a norm. It looks strange because the intestine of the baby is adapting to new food and acquiring its own microflora.
During the first 3 months, the stools of the child are still very loose. If it has the consistency of liquid porridge, if it’s of yellow or mustard color, and if it smells like milk protein, it’s also normal. This time diarrhea in babies is common and you don’t have to worry about it.
When should you consult a doctor?
You should consult a doctor if “going to the toilette” is accompanied by:
- strong smell,
- bloating in the tummy,
- high temperature,
- bloody excrements, orange / green flakes in it,
- symptoms of acute respiratory infections
Reasons for diarrhea in babies are different: starting from infectious diseases and ending with allergies. If the child has a gastrointestinal disorder, it could be a misbalance of the amount and composition of beneficial microflora of the intestines. If it is diagnosed as a more serious disease, a doctor will prescribe probiotics.
How to help the child in this case?
A doctor will prescribe treatment after defining the reason for diarrhea: medicines and drinking plenty of liquid. Even if the doctor determines that the diarrhea is not caused by a serious disease, the child can get skin irritation because of frequent contact with feces. There can be some skin redness or even small wounds. This irritated area will burn and itch the child, making them very uncomfortable.
How to help your little one?
- air baths;
- take off the diaper more often;
- change diapers frequently
- use creams for irritation and diaper rash;
- use diaper powder as an extra barrier
- wash your baby without soap more often as soap products tend to dry the already irritated skin.
So what do you think of our useful hacks to treat diarrhea in your babies? Drop us a line. Be sure to check out our other articles.
- Amazing Steps to Treat Your Newborn With Care and Safety
- Super Common Newborn Problems New Parents Shouldn’t Be Terrified About
- Child’s Development Phases: Growth Stages Every Parent Should Know About
Don’t forget to check out unique outfits for your future superstars!
- The Montessori Legacy: How Maria Montessori Transformed The Landscape Of Education - December 1, 2023
- Unlocking Creativity: Innovative Montessori Lesson Plans For Engaged Learning - November 29, 2023
- 173 Inspiring Pregnancy Quotes For Coping with Loss - November 16, 2023