The Child Refuses to Eat: What to Do?
When your baby refuses to eat saying, “I don’t want to eat,” terrible thoughts immediately appear in your head. Is it a sign that the child is sick? Why don’t they have an appetite? Is it time to consult a doctor or call your friends about your child’s diet?
If the child doesn’t want to eat, but they are active and happy, then the absence of appetite is not the reason to worry. In addition to the total refusal to eat anything and lack of appetite, children develop a selective taste. Pay attention that children are not hungry because of frequent snacks between meals. The child doesn’t want and will not eat healthy food, but when it comes to sweets, that’s another question.
Common reasons why the child cannot eat:
- Diseases of the oral cavity, such as stomatitis.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Any time the child eats, this problem will cause a lot of pain.
- Stuffy nose. It’s difficult for adults to eat when they have a stuffy nose. So it’s twice as difficult for children.
- Food that doesn’t taste good.
- Unpleasant food texture (it’s too hard, for example).
Sometimes when the baby refuses to eat, mothers or grandmothers exaggerate and perceive a lack of appetite as a serious disorder. However, you should think about how the child feels instead of worrying about how much the child eats.
You tried a lot of different tasty and healthy food for kids. Why does the child still refuse to eat?
Follow these rules in such cases:
- don’t force the child to eat;
- don’t make a show (parents do anything possible just to give the child as much food as possible. In fact, it raises the adults’ appetite more, rather than the child’s);
- stay calm about the amount of food eaten;
- stick to a child’s diet regime: control the time when you feed the baby, control the amount of food for snacks. A normal diet consists of 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and a light afternoon snack. Also, try to take less food when you go for a walk;
- add new dishes to the child’s diet and cook their favorite food more often (but taking into account what is permitted to eat at their age);
- have a meal together with the child. Those children who have lunch with their parents and stick to a healthy diet achieve more success in the future;
- walk more, breathe the fresh air, move around more, and eat foods packed high in vitamins such as fruits, berries, and juices.
- 11 Things a Careful Parent Won’t Include in Their 3 Year Old Baby’s Food
- Strategies to Be Prepared to Take Your Baby to a Restaurant for a Good Time
- 4 Ways to Stop Babies From Eating With Hands Every Parent Should Follow
Shop for your little ones by Interest. Check out our store here.
- The Montessori Legacy: How Maria Montessori Transformed The Landscape Of Education - December 1, 2023
- Unlocking Creativity: Innovative Montessori Lesson Plans For Engaged Learning - November 29, 2023
- 173 Inspiring Pregnancy Quotes For Coping with Loss - November 16, 2023