Get kids ready to make fun groundhog day crafts. Our art and craft idea will teach children how to make paper bag groundhog.
Groundhogs are squirrels’ relatives, hence their remarkable resemblance. The difference between them is that groundhogs are larger than squirrels. These animals are rodents that live in places with wide and flat land and require feeding near their burrows.
Groundhogs can adapt to cold climates thanks to their long fur. They make a characteristic sound that allows them to alert other groundhogs when they are in danger. They also create their burrows, hibernate in them and store food for seven months during winter.
In the USA and Canada, there is a celebration called Groundhog Day. On this day each year, if the groundhog comes out of its burrow and sees its shadow, this indicates that winter will soon end.
With this celebration, farmers can predict their planting seasons based on an early spring. However, if the groundhog does not see its shadow and returns its burrow, this indicates that winter is not finished yet.
An excellent way for children to learn without listening to the Groundhog Day theory is through animal crafts. When children do activities that involve movement and are much more fun, all their senses are alert. Crafting opens your mind and develops your creativity. Undoubtedly through these activities, they will strengthen learning.
The elaboration of crafts also helps children develop and strengthen other skills such as control in the hands and fingers, patience, memory, social skills when carried out in a group, and the ability to solve problems.
THEME: ART AND CRAFT IDEA
HOW DO WE DO THIS ACTIVITY?
Age: 4-6-year-old children
Goal: Through this art and craft idea activity, children will strengthen their knowledge about marmots and develop motor skills through a craft’s development.
Difficulty level: Intermediate. This groundhog craft idea activity is designed for children to carry out autonomously through following instructions.
- Precision in hand and finger movements
- Following instructions
- A paper bag
- A sheet of green bond paper with strips (previously made). This will be the marmot grass
- A paintbrush
- A marker
- Ears made in brown foamy
- Groundhog hands made in brown foamy
- Two white circles made in foamy
- Groundhog teeth made in white foamy
Paste the green paper to the bottom of the bag, creating the groundhog’s grass.
Fold the top of the bag.
Glue the groundhog’s ears to the top of the bag.
Paste the white circles forming the eyes, and with a black marker, draw the pupils.
Paste the black circle forming the groundhog’s nose.
Paste the groundhog’s teeth.
Finally, paste the groundhog’s arms.
Art and craft idea with a groundhog craft made with different materials
FREE PRINTABLE GROUNDHOG WORKSHEETS FOR PRESCHOOLERS
Here’s another fun groundhog themed activity that you can do after the paper bag art and craft idea for kids. Click the link below to download and print the free printable worksheets.
HOW DO WE DO THIS ACTIVITY WITH CHILDREN OF DIFFERENT AGES?
CHANGES FOR CHILDREN UNDER 4 YEARS OLD
This paper bag craft idea activity can be developed with younger children. Children can do the craft with a printed image to lower the difficulty level. This way, they will carry out a fun activity according to their development and skills.
CHANGES FOR CHILDREN OLDER THAN 6
This art and craft idea activity can be done with older children. To increase the difficulty level of this exercise, it’s unnecessary to change the materials. At this age, it is possible children can use scissors, so they can cut the figures themselves, always under adult’s surveillance. This way, they will carry out an activity according to their development and skills.
Do you like this groundhog day activity? Make sure to check out our other articles.
- Here’s an awesome home activity, Let’s Fill the Groundhog Clever Cool Crafts for Kids to Develop their Brain Montessori Activity with Printable Worksheets (4-6 Year Olds)
- Check out this awesome Clever Handprint Dinosaur Craft for Kids Montessori Activity with Printable Worksheets (4-6 Year Olds)
- Give kids fun activity to do. Check out this Montessori Fossil Puzzle Craft for Kids to Have a Great Time with Printable Worksheets (4-6 Year Olds)
- Let kids have fun with the Match the Groundhog Shadow Game Creative Craft for Kid to Encourage Logical Thinking Montessori Activity with Printable Worksheets (4-6 Year Olds)
Get super cute outfit for your little ones, check out this Smiling Frog T-shirt.
I’d like to know what you think of our art and craft idea. Please leave a comment below.
- From Toddlers To Teens: Stimulating Montessori Activities For All Ages - December 7, 2023
- The Art Of Language: Understanding The Montessori Pink, Blue, And Green Series - December 7, 2023
- Inside The Mind Of Montessori: Revealing 5 Montessori Key Principles - December 6, 2023