Sooner or later each pregnant woman starts to think about things she might need in maternity hospital. Some women by already prepared sets of things, while others – pack the bag themselves. In any case, you have to be prepared to “X” day.
As a matter of fact, “bag for labor” actually means 3 bags: a set for labor, things for mother after the labor, things for the newborn. If you decide to have a birth partner, you will need to pack a bag for a father-to-be (T-shirt, Baby T-shirt, pants and flip-flops and required documents and medical certificates).
Bag for Labor
Set of documents for a maternity hospital:
- ID card or any other documents that can prove your identity.
- Referral to a maternity hospital (required for those, who are sent from the district for labor in the regional maternity hospital).
- Prenatal record – it is the most important document for each pregnant woman that contains information about her health during pregnancy.
- Contract, in case you have made arrangements at the hospital.
- Health insurance (MHI).
- Cash, in case some unexpected expenses might occur.
Set of things into the delivery room:
- Still mineral water (2 bottles, 0.5 litter)
- Labor gown (however, some of them you will get at the hospital)
- Warm socks if you are cold
- Rubber slides or flip-flops
- Compression stockings (consult with your doctor in order to choose suitable ones)
- Hygiene products (toilet paper and wet wipes).
- Disposable diapers (you will be provided with diapers at the hospital, however you might need the one you bring too)
- Light snack (in case you spend a long time in labor, you ought to have some snacks, such as cookies, crispbread and bananas)
- Phone and a charger
Things for a postpartum period
- Postpartum pads (they are quite bigger than the usual ones). You will have to change them quite often.
- Postpartum underwear (several panties and nursing bras, preferably inexpensive, elastic and made from natural materials).
- Home-style clothing (bathrobe, 2-3 nightgowns or pajamas for nursing).
- Hygiene products (shower gel or soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, scissors and nail file, shampoo, skin-care products including cream for cracks in the nipples).
- Hairbrush, scrunchies or hairpins.
- Nursing pads.
- Rubber slides or flip-flops.
- A couple of towels.
- Several disposable or reusable diapers.
- Set of dishes (however, if you have a contract, the hospital will provide you with everything).
- A small supply of food for the first time (water, tea, cookies, fruits, yogurts etc.)
When leaving the hospital, you will need some clothes and shoes in accordance to the weather. Also you might need a small cosmetic bag (a fresh mother must shine!). You can pack all of these things with you before going to the hospital or ask someone to bring them for you.
Things for the newborn
- Clothes, which you prepare for a newborn for the nearest future, must be thoroughly washed and ironed from both sides.
- Cloth diapers: flannel and cotton
- Baby undershirts, button-up baby bodysuits, sliders (5-6 pieces minimum).
- Hats (of different sizes), scratch mittens and socks (minimum 3 pieces each).
- Terry towel.
- Hygiene products for a newborn: baby soap, baby wet wipes, cotton discs and sticks with a limiter, brilliant green, hydrogen peroxide, baby cream, nappy cream, hygienic scissors and electronic thermometer.
- Dummy and a feeding bottle (in case of an artificial feeding).
- Set of clothes for a discharge.
It might be a good idea to sign each bag, leave them in one place and inform your relatives about them. Therefore, such approach to the matter can save time and proves to be useful during the emergency labor.
Check our What Happens to Mother and a Child After Labor? Know the things to expect after giving birth to your baby!
- The Montessori Legacy: How Maria Montessori Transformed The Landscape Of Education - December 1, 2023
- 173 Inspiring Pregnancy Quotes For Coping with Loss - November 16, 2023
- 230 Pregnancy Announcement Quotes For Instagram: Sharing Your Joy, One Captivating Caption At A Time - November 16, 2023